Friday, March 15, 2013

Rule 4: Cold? Put on a hat.

Off grid: hat city
In my last WFR recert, we looked at studies on hypothermia. I was surprised that people are losing core temperature so fast through the big muscles of the legs and gluteus.

We’ve always assumed that tights or long johns are the last insulation you need. Turns out, it’s just as important to keep your thighs and backside warm as it is to bundle up your noggin, according to timeworn principles.

As a result, you can usually find a pair of Icebreaker's 140-150 weight merino wool, 3/4 length tights in my pack on weekend trips. The temperature range is astounding. When you don't need them, you hardly know
they're there.

Mine clips into my harness, like this one
Whatever you do, never pack out without a hat. This is why I'm a big fan of hoody base layers.

But more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment